Friday, January 20, 2023

Extra Charge

 Has anyone else noticed that as we move to a cashless society, we're starting to see more and more "convenience" fees added to our bills?  I was at a restaurant tonight and their "convenience" fee for paying electronically was 2.5%.  Compared to some of the ones I've seen, I guess that's reasonable.

Obviously, they're trying to recover the processing fee for the transaction.  At one time it cost more to process a credit card than a debit card, but I think there was a lawsuit that said that wasn't fair so now they're the same.  

Back when I was in grad school writing business plans, that was considered a cost of doing business and you built it into your pricing.  Now it seems like they're trying to double-dip and collect it twice.

What's next?  Climate control convenience fee - help us recover our heating and cooling costs? 

Oh, I forgot to mention the "suggested" tip rates.  They used to be 10%, 15%, and 20%.  Now that we're looking to pay fast-food workers $15/hr.  those rates have jumped to 18%, 20%, and 30%!  And they ask you to tip on the total amount with taxes!


No comments: